Friday, April 27, 2012

Viva Nerja


The second weekend in March, I was planning on going to Málaga to check out the costal town just south of Sevilla. I figured it’d be a fun, easy weekend trip and I’d get to catch some rays since it was starting to warm up in Andalucía.


I keep up with some blogs about Spain, and one the day before I was going to buy my ticket to Málaga, I read a post saying not to bother with its busy beaches, but to opt for a little bus ride eastward to Nerja.


Nerja is a gem. It’s a little beach about an hour east of Málaga on the Costa del Sol in the South of Spain. Away from the big city, it’s a small “pueblo blanco,” which means all of the buildings are painted white to keep away the heat. My pal Veronica and I decided we wanted to check it out Wednesday, picked up tickets on Thursday, and went on Friday. Nuts? Nuts.


We bussed it to the quaint little town, and it’s precious. Yep, precious. Found out a few weeks later that Nerja is Rick Steve’s favorite beach in Spain. Respect the Rick! Veronica and I had a great 2 days in Nerja. Stayed at the nicest hostel of my life, outfitted with TVs, individual showers, fluffy towels and a tea maker.



We spent our 48 hours wandering around the whole town, relaxing on the beach, swapping stories/laughs and frequenting a heladería. Proudly, we became regulars at the ice cream shop in 2 days.


On Saturday, we took a little trip to a nearby pueblo blanco, Frigiliana. It’s famous for it’s honey, Frigilianian dessert wine, and its pottery. Had an absolute blast trekking uphill through the small streets of what felt like an Andalucían secret.



Small town Spain? I’m into it. No metro, no problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment