Friday, April 27, 2012

Viva Toledo


When we were trip planning at the beginning of the semester, we had planned to go to Madrid mid-March, and it just so happened that the LMFAO European tour rolled through Spain that weekend! So naturally, we grabbed tickets and figured it’d be a blast. You know, they’ve got some hits on the radio... the kids these days like ‘em... Friday night, we got to the amphitheater and man... I’ve never seen so many ‘fro wigs, animal prints pants (outtacontrol), or shutter shades. Far East movement opened for them, and then LMFAO took the stage.



The concert was a one for the books. I say “one for the books” when I don’t know if something was good or bad... kinda both. I describe that concert as the quickest, most entertaining way to lose hope in humanity. The place was packed with some characters to see this band, and their show was well done, but man... the music. Their songs are just over the top raunch, and if this is what reflects the US culture... oh man. We’re in for it.


The next day, my pal Nyla and I went to Toledo. I opted to skip out on seeing Madrid since I’d be going with my ‘rents the next month. Toledo is a sweet little town where the government was moved for a short while back in the Spanish day. It’s just a short train ride from the current capital, Madrid. Cervantes was a big deal in Toledo, so to pay homage to my Spanish lit classes, we had to pay a visit.

On the way off of the train (phs girls, you’ll appreciate this) I saw a neon hat that practically everyone in Young Life owns. I was caught off guard, but then caught a glimpse of this guy’s shirt, reppin’ YL as well. SCORE! Turns out that this guy, Phrank, was a leader from Colorado. Post-LMFAO, I needed a little bit of hope in humanity and this conversation fit the bill. We had a great little talk, and I got my Young Life fix for the next 30 mins or so.

Nyla and I spent the rest of the day seeing the goods that Toledo has to offer. The cathedral there is incredible, as is just the feel of the town. We wandered through winding streets, saw some sights, and had a great time. Toledo is famous for their swords, marzipan and history in literature. We saw some great swords, ate some great marzipan, and kinda thought about some great literature.





My favorite part of our Toledo trip happened toward the end of the day. Ny and I went to go see the scene of the picture that’s all over pinterest... it’s of one of the bridges over this beautiful river basin with some incredible cliffs. We had to get a little taste of it for ourselves so, being the rebels that we are, jumped the barrier fence on the lookout and shimmied our way out on to this cliff/ledge where you get THE best view. Gosh, it was breathtaking.


The whole time we were out on the ledge, we kinda were thinking that what we were doing was illegal. After sitting for a few minutes and taking it all in, we heard a big whistle from up behind the fence. I thought it was the police trying to bust us. Dang. We turned around and there was an army of photographers taking photos of us. What?! Nyla and I were dying laughing. We started heading back up to the fence, all the while being snapped for photos. I’ve never felt like a celebrity until I went to Toledo.

The Spanish photographers were talking to us once we got up, showing us the photos they took and commending us on our “bravery.” That’s funny. We exchanged emails with several of them, and came home to some pictures of our Toledo adventure! Hence, this shot:


Toledo was beautiful, historical and fun. One-on-one time with Nyla was really nice, too. Yet another two points for small-town Spain! 




No comments:

Post a Comment